One of my favorite drinks when I was younger was the Orange Julius. This weekend my parents gave us a whole basket of fresh oranges for Christmas and we decide to make homemade Orange Julius with them. It was a great treat and the first Orange Julius experience our kids have ever had. They loved it!
A typical recipe can be not too healthy. Plus we have milk allergies in our family. So we made a few modifications to fit our family better.
- 6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate (we bought a 12 ounce can and cut the contents in half)
- 3/4 cup fresh juiced orange juice (this is the healthy part we added)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk (you can use regular milk but we had to adjust for the allergies)
- 1/4 cup sugar plus a little more (we would have used Sucanat instead but we ran out; it would have been healthier)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (our kids liked a little bit more vanilla added)
- 9 – 10 ice cubes
Put all ingredients in a blender except the ice cubes and start blending. Add the ice cubes one at a time until you have the wonderful frothy concoction. Pour in a glass and enjoy!
One secret ingredient our kids added that topped it off for them was a few squirts of whipped cream on top. What great fun it was.
Have you made an Orange Julius? What was your recipe?